PRIME for Life
Helping Alaskans Reach Their Prime
VOA Alaska offers PRIME for Life (PFL), an evidence-based prevention and intervention program which helps people learn to reduce their risks of alcohol and drug related problems throughout life. This important two-day alcohol and drug risk reduction program is designed for people who have begun using alcohol and other drugs, or who are part of a group where some alcohol and drug use is likely.
Participants will learn new information that helps reduce risk for any future alcohol and other drug related-related problems throughout life. PFL provides a clear understanding of how our own biology and our behavior affect our risk for problems. It also helps people understand that many things inside them – and within our society – influence our choices. They will learn how to respond to these influences in a way that reduces their risk for problems. The class also gives people a clear understanding of how their choices can create risk, and the importance of always making low-risk choices about alcohol and other drugs.
VOA Alaska is proud to offer PFL courses for participants from across the state through online delivery of this course through Zoom. The virtual class is offered Monday and Tuesday, while an in-person class is offered Thursday and Friday (with a six student limit).
Classes are available for youth and adults. Each course includes two 4-hour sessions, held from 8am to 12pm.
The PRIME for Life Program:
- Engages participants in self-evaluation of their decision to use drugs and alcohol.
- Helps participants see the life-long consequences of drug and alcohol use.
- Equips participants with the skills needed to prevent future substance abuse.
Questions about Prime For Life?
Steps to Participate:
- Confirm you have sufficient internet connectivity to sustain 2 4-hour sessions via Zoom.
- Identify a course offering from the list of available courses below that fits with your schedule. Please note: VOA offers two options for Prime For Life: (1) a course for Adults, and (2) a course for Youth; make sure to register for the appropriate course for your age group.
- Click the link for your chosen course date to complete the registration process, including payment.
- Following registration, you will receive a confirmation email with details about how to prepare for your course, including technology guidance and course material distribution.
- If you have any questions about your registration, please contact VOA Alaska prior to your scheduled course date at (907) 265-1906 or by email.
- On course days, make sure to connect to Zoom 15 minutes before your course is scheduled to begin to ensure your connection is working properly.
- Students are expected to be punctual and follow all rules laid out in the student contract.